Large Development to Join Potrero Hill and Dogpatch Neighborhoods in San FranciscoJan 05 2018 · 0 comments · Mixed-Use, NISHKIAN MENNINGER, Residential ·0
A new mixed-use development is underway at 1395 22nd Street in San Francisco. The location will offer residents easy access to one of San Francisco’s Caltrain stations. The project will include two structures: an eight-story residential building over a below grade parking garage adjacent to a three-story industrial building. The northern residential building will contain over 250 rental units and the industrial space will be used for Production Distribution and Repair (PDR) by the City of San Francisco. The vertical load-carrying system for these buildings consists of post-tensioned concrete slabs supported by reinforced concrete columns and concrete shear walls. The façade uses various building materials to appear as individual residential buildings along the hill. The two buildings are supported by deep foundations and are separated by a seismic joint.
The site, perched on the east side of Potrero Hill, creates an interesting construction condition. The floor plates increase in plan as the building ascends the face of the hill. Where columns and walls intersect the slope, tiebacks will be used to tie the structure into the hillside. These tiebacks were peer-reviewed as part of the entire foundation system by a peer-review panel selected by the City of San Francisco.
A serpentine stair at the north side of the construction site will connect Missouri Street at the top of Potrero Hill to Texas Street at the bottom. The stair covers an elevation gain of approximately 85 feet and allows access to the residential building on multiple landings.
Align Real Estate, Perry Architects, Min|Day, Fletcher Studio, BUILD Group, and Nishkian Menninger are collaborating on this 250-unit, transit-oriented, mixed-use residential/PDR buildings and public stair project. Construction for the main structural system is scheduled to be completed by the end of 2018.
Renderings courtesy of Min | Day and Perry Architects